Hot Water Cornbread
1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup of teff flour
1 cup of spelt flour
2 teaspoons of aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sea salt
(2 teaspoons of flaxseed meal & 6 teaspoons of water) mixed together
2 cups of boiling water
2 teaspoons of grapeseed oil
1 cup of grape seed oil
- Boil a small pot of water.
- Put flour, baking powder, cornmeal and salt into a bowl and mix well. Add flaxseed meal mixture and 2 tsp. grapeseed oil.
- When water has reached boiling temperature, measure out two cups and pour over cornmeal mixture. Stir well to mix in the flaxseed mixture.
- Heat 1 cup of grapeseed oil in a small frying pan over medium flame. Shape dough with hands into silver dollar sized medallions, flattened cakes and drop into hot grease. Do not crowd pan.
- Once they have reached a light toasty brown, turn and brown on the other side. Will take 3-4 minutes total per batch.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.