- Ingredients: Store-bought vegan pizza crust (no egg, milk, etc.). Please note the cauliflower pizza crust is NOT plant-based. Please read the ingredients carefully and NOT just the front advertising on the label! (We like the brand from Wholefoods called Engine 2 Plant-Strong.
Make you own Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet fast-acting yeast
- 2 cups flour (we like chickpea "garbanzo bean" flour)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (+ more for seasoning crust)
- 2 tablespoons date sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt (+ more for crust)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- Recommended eating some cooked veggies and uncooked "live" veggies (season to taste with basil, oregano, sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, cayenne (optional))
- Cooked veggie ideas:
- Butternut squash
- Brussels sprouts
- Live "raw veggies"
- Banana peppers
- Bell peppers
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup or more if needed marinara sauce or non-dairy pesto sauce- (We like Seggiano Fresh Basil Pesto)
- 2 tbsp. Holy basil
- 2 tsp. oregano
Pizza Dough Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Stir yeast and 1/2 tablespoon sugar into warmed water until dissolved. Let it sit for 7-10 minutes, until foamy.
3. In a large bowl, add the flour, garlic powder, salt, and remaining sugar.
4. Whisk to combine.
5. Add the activated yeast to the bowl along with the olive oil.
6. Mix until all ingredients are well combined and form a dough.
7. If the dough is too sticky, add a couple of tablespoons of flour.
8. Form the dough into a ball and place back in the bowl (*lightly dust bowl with flour before placing the dough ball in).
9. Completely cover the bowl with a damp napkin or hand towel 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
10. You'll need a pizza pan or large cutting board ready to transfer the pizza into and out of the oven, but you won't be cooking on it. The pizza will be cooked on parchment paper only.
11. Place a large parchment paper over your work area (about the size of your pan).
12. Dust the paper with flour so you can spread your dough easily.
13. Cut the dough in half using a wet knife.
*This recipe makes two 10-inch pizzas. I make one pizza at a time. While one is cooking, I'll prepare the other.
Pizza Assembly Directions:
1. Place plant-based pizza crust on a pizza rack with holes
2. Using a spoon, spread the sauce evenly over the pizza and top with the veggies of your choice.
3. Bake for 5-8 minutes at 350 degrees F and if using a homemade crust, but if making crust, then bakes for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees F.